Here are 5 top tips for teaching Science:
1. Always practice demonstrations and experiments thoroughly before the lesson (rehearse what you will say – science, questions and safety).
2. Be clear and consistent with scientific language to eliminate misconceptions (measure the mass of the cube not the weight of the cube on a balance).
3. When teaching science Use a variety of activities to engage pupils with the content of the lesson (everyday life examples they have experienced are good).
4. Use models that pupils can relate to (help them visualise and access what is happening) and put abstract ideas such as electric current in context.
5. Incorporate synoptic elements into lessons to link the curriculum and make it a ‘big picture’ for your students.
If you found this useful, we also have 5 Top Tips For Teaching Science In Primary Schools! This blog also has an infographic that can be viewed and downloaded.