Here are 5 top tips for teaching computing in primary schools:
- Join Code Club to get access to excellent teaching resources and project ideas.
- Bee Bots make an excellent introduction to algorithms at KS1.
- Introduce algorithmic thinking offline before using computers. The CS Unplugged website has lots of ideas for pen/paper and role-plays activities.
- Encourage the children to help and support each other. There will quickly be children in the class who know Scratch a lot better than you. Encourage them to share their expertise. Use peer support and debug issues themselves, before they need to ask you.
- Scratch is an excellent language to introduce coding to children. Use the teacher’s guide area for lots of hints, tips and advice.
If you are interested in training to teach or know someone that is, visit us in person at one of our information events!